Annapolis is the capital of the U.S. state of Maryland, as well as the county seat of Anne Arundel County. Situated on the Chesapeake Bay at the mouth of the Severn River, 25 miles (40 km) south of Baltimore and about 30 miles (48 km) east of Washington, DC, Annapolis is part of the Baltimore–Washington metropolitan area. Its population was measured at 38,394 by the 2010 census.
The city served as the temporary capital of the United States in 1783–84 and was the site of the Annapolis Peace Conference, held in November 2007, at the United States Naval Academy. Annapolis is the home of St. John’s College.
Baltimore is the largest city in the U.S. state of Maryland and the 26th-most populous city in the country. It is located in the central area of the state along the tidal portion of the Patapsco River, an arm of the Chesapeake Bay. The independent city is often referred to as Baltimore City to distinguish it from surrounding Baltimore County.
Founded in 1729, Baltimore is the second largest seaport in the Mid-Atlantic United States and is situated closer to Midwestern markets than any other major seaport on the East Coast. Baltimore’s Inner Harbor was once the second leading port of entry for immigrants to the United States and a major manufacturing center. After a decline in manufacturing, Baltimore shifted to a service-oriented economy, with the Johns Hopkins Hospital and Johns Hopkins University serving as the city’s top two employers.
Cambridge is a city in Dorchester County, Maryland, United States. The population was 12,326 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Dorchester County and the county’s largest municipality. Cambridge is the fourth most populous city in Maryland’s Eastern Shore region, after Salisbury, Elkton and Easton.
The Chesapeake Bay is an estuary lying inland from the Atlantic Ocean surrounded by the states of Maryland and Virginia, the largest such body in the US. More than 150 rivers and streams flow into the bay’s 64,299 square miles (166,534 km2) drainage basin, which covers parts of six states (New York, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, and West Virginia) and the District of Columbia.
The bay is approximately 200 miles (300 km) long from its northern headwaters in the Susquehanna River to its outlet in the Atlantic Ocean. It is 2.8 miles (4.5 km) wide at its narrowest (between Kent County’s Plum Point near Newtown and the Harford County shore near Romney Creek) and 30 miles (50 km) at its widest (just south of the mouth of the Potomac River). Total shoreline including tributaries is 11,684 miles (18,804 km), representing a surface area of 4,479 square miles (11,601 km2). Average depth is 46 feet (14 m), reaching a maximum of 208 feet (63 m).
The bay is spanned twice, in Maryland by the Chesapeake Bay Bridge from Sandy Point (near Annapolis) to Kent Island, and in Virginia by the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel connecting Virginia Beach to Cape Charles.
Dining on Maryland’s Eastern Shore
The Eastern Shore of Maryland is a part of the U.S. state of Maryland that lies predominantly on the east side of the Chesapeake Bay and consists of nine counties. As of the 2010 census, its population was 449,226, with just under 8 percent of Marylanders living in the region. The term “Eastern Shore” distinguishes a territorial part of the State of Maryland from the Western Shore of Maryland, land west of the Chesapeake Bay.
Havre de Grace
Havre de Grace is a city in Harford County, Maryland, situated at the mouth of the Susquehanna River and the head of Chesapeake Bay. It is named after the port city of Le Havre, France, which in full was once Le Havre de Grâce (French, “Haven of Grace”). The population was 12,952 at the 2010 United States Census. The city was honored as one of America’s 20 best small towns to visit in 2014 by Smithsonian magazine.
Oxford is a waterfront town and former colonial port in Talbot County, Maryland, United States. The population was 651 at the 2010 census.
Rock Hall, “The Pearl of the Chesapeake”, is a waterfront town located directly on the National Chesapeake Scenic Byway in Kent County, Maryland, United States. It is located less than two hours away from large metropolitan areas such as Philadelphia, Baltimore and Washington DC. The population was 1,310 at the 2010 census.
Saint Mary’s City
St. Mary’s City, Maryland is not a city but is instead a large state run historic area and museum complex, also known as Historic St. Mary’s City. Half of the area is also the campus of the public honors college, St. Mary’s College of Maryland.
St. Mary’s City is the historic site of the founding of the Colony of Maryland and was also the first capital of the Maryland colony (then called the Province of Maryland). The original settlement was also the fourth oldest permanent English settlement in the United States.
Saint Michaels, also known as St. Michaels, is a town in Talbot County, Maryland, USA. The population was 1,029 at the 2010 census. Saint Michaels derives its name from the Episcopal Parish established here in 1677. The church attracted settlers who engaged in tobacco growing and ship building.
The town was laid out as a speculative development in the 1770s by James Braddock. Unlike the more typical 18th century grid-pattern town planning, Braddock laid St. Michaels out around a central square. The town was incorporated in 1804.
Smith Island is a census-designated place (CDP) in Somerset County, Maryland, United States. It is included in the Salisbury, Maryland-Delaware Metropolitan Statistical Area. The community is located in the central part of the island also called Smith Island, the northern part of which is the Martin National Wildlife Refuge, and the southern part of which lies in Accomack County, Virginia.
In the last 150 years, Smith Island has lost over 3,300 acres (13 km2) of wetlands due to erosion and post-glacial subsidence into the Chesapeake Bay. To prevent the island from being lost to erosion, restoration efforts will be ongoing for the next 50 years to restore 1,900 acres (8 km2) of submerged aquatic vegetation and 240 acres (1.0 km2) of wetlands.
People traveling to Smith Island can only access it by boat. Passenger-only ferries connect Smith Island at Ewell to Solomons, Maryland, to the west, and Crisfield, Maryland, to the east.
Solomons Island is a community and census-designated place (CDP) in Calvert County, Maryland, United States. The population was 1,536 at the 2000 census. Solomons is considered a popular weekend destination spot amongst many living in the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), of which, 1.8 square miles (4.7 km2) of it is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) of it (15.96%) is water.
Solomons Island is on the north side of the mouth of Patuxent River, where it meets the Chesapeake Bay. It is just across from the U.S. Patuxent River Naval Air Station (on the south side of the mouth of the Patuxent River).
Tangier, Virginia is a town in Accomack County, Virginia, United States, on Tangier Island in Chesapeake Bay. The population was 727 at the 2010 census.
The majority of the original settlers were from South West England, and the tiny island community has attracted the attention of linguists because its people speak a unique English Restoration-era dialect of American English. Most of Tangier Island is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Tilghman Island is a census-designated place (CDP) in Talbot County, Maryland, USA. The population was 854 at the 2000 census.
The island is known in the land records of the province of Mary-Land as Great Choptank Island, but took on the names of a succession of its owners. When granted to Seth Foster in 1659, it naturally became known locally as Foster’s Island, and so on. The Tilghman family owned it for over a century, beginning with Matthew Tilghman in 1752, and they were the last family to own it. It has remained Tilghman’s Island ever since. The community and the post office are simply Tilghman, however.
United States Naval Academy
The United States Naval Academy (also known as USNA, Annapolis, or Navy) is a four-year coeducational federal service academy located in Annapolis, Maryland, United States. Established in 1845 under Secretary of the Navy George Bancroft, it is the second-oldest of the United States’ five service academies, and educates officers for commissioning primarily into the United States Navy and United States Marine Corps.
The 338-acre (137 ha) campus is located on the former grounds of Fort Severn at the confluence of the Severn River and Chesapeake Bay, 33 miles (53 km) east of Washington, D.C. and 26 miles (42 km) southeast of Baltimore, Maryland. The entire campus is a National Historic Landmark and home to many historic sites, buildings, and monuments.